Personal Listening Profile Materials For Moving Beyond Just Hearing.
Listening is the ability to receive, interpret, and respond to verbal and non-verbal messages. It’s estimated that people screen out or misunderstand the meaning of a message in over 70 percent of communications, making listening the largest factor to miscommunication.
The Personal Listening Profile® Identifies Five Listening Styles
- Appreciative: Listens in a relaxed manner, seeks enjoyment, entertainment, or inspiration.
- Empathic: Listens without judging, is supportive of the speaker, and learns from the experiences of others.
- Comprehensive: Listens to organize and make sense of information by understanding relationships among ideas.
- Discerning: Listens to get complete information, understand the main message, and determine important details.
- Evaluative: Listens in order to make a decision based on information provided and may accept or reject messages based on personal beliefs.The Personal Listening Profile helps people understand when their most natural listening approach may not be appropriate, and how to adopt another approach for more successful communication.
Click on a link below to learn more about Personal Listening Products by Wiley (Inscape Publishing).
The Personal Listening Profile Facilitator Report gives you insight into group dynamics by showing how group members use each listening approach. At a glance, you'll see the similarities and differences within your group that can lead to miscommunication. You'll also be able to identify those individuals whose scores fall outside of group averages and who may feel isolated or alienated by the dominant group culture.
The paper Personal Listening Profile is a 16-page learning instrument that helps individuals understand how to listen more effectively in a variety of situations.