In just one half-day, you can equip team leaders with the skills that are essentials to their leadership. These foundational skills make the difference between highly engaged teams and disengaged teams, estimated to cost between five and six billion annually to US business alone. These skills are surprisingly simple, but not common practice. Here are the core skills in the Essential Skills of Leadership:
- Develop or maintain team member self esteem
- Focus on behavior (not attitudes)
- Encourage team member participation
- Lead Effective Meetings
- Delivery Methods: Classroom, online or blended
Timing: 4 hours and 45 minutes including 30 minutes of suggested breaks.
- Custom Versions: Office, Industrial and Healthcare included in each facilitator kit.
- Class Size: 8-21
- College Credit: All of Vital Learnings courses are pre-approved for college level credit.
- Online Timing: on average, learners spend 60 minutes
- LMS: All courses are SCORM compliant. Hosted through your LMS or ours
- Intended audience: First line supervisors, team leaders, managers
- Reinforcement: two kinds are build into each module
- Certification: There is no requirement.
- Train-the-trainer: on-demand TTT’s available for all modules.
The Essential Skills of Leadership is one of two foundational courses in the Leadership Essentials Series.This course focuses on skills that frequently used in conjunction with other skill taught in this series.
For example, if a supervisor is delegating a new task and the team member seems uncertain they can perform this new responsibility, the supervisor needs to focus on the team member’s self esteem to reach the goal. Ignoring this drop in self esteem will mean the team member fails causing self-esteem to drop even more so. The team leader also fails for failing to achieve a result through a member of the team.
- Achieve specific leadership tasks by deploying a problem-solving discussion method to lead meetings and empower others.
- Acknowledge contributions, results and accomplishments to enhance self-esteem.
- Base discussions about performance and work habits on behavior rather than on personalities and attitudes.
- Involve team members in goal setting, problem-solving and decision-making.
- Deploy meeting management skills to meet the goals of the meeting in the available time.
- Maintain or Enhance Team Member Self-Esteem
- Focus on Behavior
- Encourage Team Member Participation
For the Facilitator:
For the Participant:
- Facilitator kits- everything needed to facilitate this course
- On-demand train-the-trainer with tips, best practices, enhancements and alternate ways to deliver activities
- Facilitator level access to the Vital Hub- jogger card templates, trouble shooting guides, pre-course sample letter template, reinforcement sample letter template, access to the various versions of video, and more.
- Participant workbook – in digital or print versions
- 48 Hour reinforcement tool – reinforces what’s been learned in first 48 hours following training
- Vital Boost- six weeks of reinforcement questions with a leaderboard to compare scores
- Participant level access to tools in the Vital Hub such as reproducible worksheets to put what has been learned into practice and trouble shooting guides, other job aids, and more.
Applications for this course:
Reinforce DiSC with this course:
- Brand new team leader or supervisor, or lower level manager.
- Team leaders, supervisors, managers who have missed basic supervisory training along the way.
- Team leaders who are experience frequent turnover, conflict on their teams, lawsuits, or any issues that requires them to call upon HR to their team.
- A great number of issues team leaders bring to HR are due to a lack of basic supervisory skills. If you want to reduce the time HR is spending doing the work of the supervisor, the Leadership Essential Series is a perfect choice.
- If your organization has previously introduced DiSC to supervisors, it can become a thread through these courses. It can also be brought into the skill practice in each course.
Encourage Team Member Participation – “Encouraging Participation” (18-A)
- Discuss how the team member DiSC profile might impact what you do or say to encourage participation.
Lead Effective Meetings – “Meeting Management Skills” (27-A)
- Tie back to the participants’ team members and their DiSC profiles. Discuss how these profiles might affect how they run an efficient team meeting.
Mastering the Essential Skills of Leadership – “What Would You Do” (30-A)
- Assign DiSC profiles to the team members in each scenario. Choose different profiles for each scenario. Ask participants to incorporate this profile in their skill practice. At the end, ask how the DiSC profile of the team member impacted how they approached the scenario.
To reinforce how critical the skills are that are taught in the two foundational modules which include the Essential Skills of Leadership and the Essential Skills of Communicating, these skills from these two courses are built into a key activity that appears in all 10 of the interpersonal modules. In this activity, one group of supervisors presents a second group with a potential barrier that will derail success related to the skill being taught. The second group must respond with which foundational skill or skills will help remove the barrier and identify how they’ll apply each to be successful.
- Open the course
- The work of leaders- connecting the dots
- Class outcomes and Skill Points
The Leadership Achievement Path
- Empowering others and accomplishing goals
- The achievement path
Focus on Behavior
- Behavior vs attitude
- Behavior or attitude
- Observing and documenting specific behaviors
- Rewriting attitude statements
Maintain or Enhance Self-Esteem
- Why self-esteem
- Maintaining self-esteem statements
- Motivating factors
- How would you maintain self-esteem
- Rewrite to maintain or enhance self-esteem
Encourage Team Member Participation
- Encouraging team member participation
- Examples of encouraging team member participation
Lead Effective Meetings
- The worst meeting of my life
- Meeting management skills: efficient and effective
- The worst meeting of my life revisited
Mastering the Essential Skills of Leadership
- What would you do scenarios
- 48 hour reinforcement
- Vital Boost